Wednesday, October 9, 2013

There’s Something New in Yahoo! Mail

Not long after experiencing Google Books in the Philippines during Google’s fairly extensive updates, now Yahoo! Mail had some updates of its own. Opening my Yahoo! Mail this afternoon, I was prompted by this message…

Yahoo! Mail themes

Yahoo! Mail themes. Interesting.

With Gmail, email themes are not new. But with Yahoo! adding this feature to their emails, they’re giving the impression that Gmail had a fun and exciting feature they want to have. I’m not a fan of personalizing emails cause I think that themes slows down browsers. Or maybe I worry about nonsensical technical matters. Still, just to test the waters, I fiddled with the Yahoo! Mail themes for a few minutes, and now my Yahoo! Mail looks like this…

Yahoo! Mail with Seascape Evening theme

Yahoo! Mail with Seascape Evening theme. Nice.

Pretty “cool”. Now if you want to change your email theme anytime, you can do that by clicking this icon themes link on the bottom left corner of the email window. This will open up a “wide” set of themes to choose from…

Variety of Yahoo! Mail themes

Choose from a “wide” variety of Yahoo! Mail themes.

Yahoo! did a great job with this new feature, though I have an inkling that they’re duplicating Google. Well, considering that Yahoo!’s current President and CEO Marissa Mayer was once part of Google, the mimicry is possible. But, setting aside my being a Filipino, mimicry if used in a constructive way never hurt anybody. If Yahoo! does imitate Google, I can see that they’re imitating them in a positive light. Can Google file a complaint on Yahoo! about this? Maybe, I don’t know, but doesn’t the Wordpress blogging site also have themes?

For more about Yahoo! mail’s recent update check the following sites…

Yahoo unveils total email redesign inspired by Flickr and Tumblr
Yahoo Mail turns sweet 16, gets swanky new look
Yahoo’s Mail App Gets a Major Redesign for Its 16th Birthday – shows a major change in Yahoo! mail app for mobile devices

Now, let’s see, where can I find the remove themes button?