Monday, June 12, 2017

Margarita and Deborah's Version of Pork Adobo

Today is the Philippines 119th Independence Day. A celebration of freedom from the clutches of Spanish rule. And today, I have decided to cook Pork Adobo. That is, my mother and slightly my sister’s version of Pork Adobo.

I asked my mother what ingredients I should buy. She gave me the following lists. My sister Debie also told me to marinade the pork with Sprite soft drinks. But my mother was against it. I just sort of followed my sister’s advice.

Ingredients I bought

½ kilo pork

3 large potatoes (cubed)

1 onion (chopped)

3 cloves garlic (minced)

soy sauce

vinegar

1 Sprite soft drinks. 300 ml (mismo size)

pamintang buo (peppercorns)

2 pcs. dahon ng laurel (bay leaves)

cooking oil

oyster sauce (optional)

Sprite marinated pork

I marinated the pork using Sprite, but I think that’s supposed to be for barbecuing.

Potato, onion, and garlic ingredients

Potatoes, onions, and garlic.

Prepared potatoes, onions, and garlic

Cubed potatoes, chopped onions, minced garlic.

Procedure

  1. The first thing I did was marinate the pork with Sprite, leaving it for at least 30 minutes.
  2. Using a pan, heating oil on low, I sautéed the garlic first then the onions next.
  3. I added the pork after draining the Sprite soft drinks.
  4. My mother then added an estimated amount of soy sauce. Mentioning that, after stirring and the pork doesn’t have enough brown color then the soy sauce wasn’t enough.
  5. We then added the potatoes.
  6. Added the pamintang buo and dahon ng laurel.
  7. Added 2 tablespoons of vinegar
  8. Added the optional oyster sauce to taste.
  9. Added enough water to submerge the pork and bring to a boil or until the pork becomes soft.
Pork adobo finale

Cooking pork adobo.

The output wasn’t perfect. One error that I made was buying the wrong part of the pig. I bought the “pigi” or leg/hind leg part which is quite hard and needs a longer boiling time. Some of the online recipes suggest using pork belly while my mother said that I should have bought pork kasim or shoulder pork cut. We needed to transfer the Pork Adobo from the pan to the casserole because our pan didn’t have a cover. We needed to cover the boiling Pork Adobo in order for the meat to tenderize faster. We also added some more water and soy sauce for taste.

I had to remove the potatoes since they were already soft but the pork was still hard. I decided to give the meat another 15 minute boil. After that, I re-added the potatoes and it was ready to be served.

My verdict? My Pork Adobo lacked taste. I never knew cooking Pork Adobo would be so difficult. But let this be the start of my cooking journey.