Saturday, June 24, 2017

Meeting of the Bellies

Last Friday, June 16, my bestie Rommel Hachero had his birthday. Tomorrow, Sunday, June 25, together with another bestie Paulcy, we will have Rommel’s late birthday celebration meet-up. I’ve decided to bring the following “pulutan” or appetizers taken with alcohol.

Champiñones al Ajillo (Garlic mushrooms) from www.angsarap.net

Garlic mushrooms

Ingredients

approximately 50g butter (I used Buttercup brand)

1 can 200g button mushrooms (I used Jolly brand)

4 cloves garlic, minced

1 tbsp. Lemon juice (I substituted 1 tbsp. kalamansi [lime] juice)

freshly ground black pepper

salt

Procedure

  1. Melt butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat.
  2. Add garlic and cook until golden brown.
  3. Put the heat on high, add the mushrooms and stir fry for around 2 minutes (it took me longer, probably near 5 minutes).
  4. Add the lemon juice (kalamansi [lime] juice in my case) then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

Fishballs with Special Manong’s Sauce from www.angsarap.net

Fishballs

Ingredients

Fishballs (I bought 1 kilo)

Oil

Ingredients for Manong’s Sauce

Manong's sauce

4 cups water

1/3 cup soy sauce

2 tbsp. corn starch

2 tbsp. flour

¾ cup brown sugar

1 shallot, finely chopped or minced

3 cloves garlic, minced

salt

Procedure

  1. In a sauce pan combine all Manong’s sauce ingredients, mix well until free of lumps.
  2. Place on a stove top then cook by gently simmering in medium low heat until sauce thickens.
  3. Deep fry fishballs according to your liking, if using the Philippine fishballs (this is what I used, they’re somewhat flat in shape) fry them until they are really crispy.

Along with these pulutans, I would really love to have a Corona beer tomorrow. I got curious about it when it was promoted in some scenes from Fast and Furious, a beer which Dom is keen to. But that beer is expensive and is not available in groceries here in the Philippines. Heineken might be great but its quite expensive also. Paulcy and I, in our conversation a few minutes ago, settled with San Miguel beers for our pulutans.

Now “pulutan” can also be called finger food since some versions of it are usually eaten using the hands and the English Oxford Living Dictionaries stated its origin is from the 1960s pulutan, from pulot to pick up + -an, suffix forming nouns.

I’m also hoping to buy a large bag of peanuts tomorrow, a good addition to our small set of “pulutan”.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, our meet up did not materialize. Well, back to the drawingboard. (".)